CMWorld Session Recap: Common SEO Mistakes Content Marketers Make
September 10, 2014 - SEO
How Google Views Your Content: The 10 Most Common SEO Mistakes Content Marketers Make by Stephan Spencer. Spencer wants to go over the top 10 most common, all too common mistakes that marketers make in SEO.
TYPE: Search & Social
DESCRIPTION: There’s a small, elite group of content marketers that has cracked the code to getting to the top of Google search results for highly sought-after keywords. Wouldn’t you like to know why they’re winning, what exactly they’re doing, and how you can outrank them? Join Stephan in this fast-paced, no-holds-barred lecture and learn about the common SEO mistakes that could be tripping you up and keeping your rankings lower than they could be. He’ll debunk SEO myths and arm you with the knowledge you need to give a boost to your organic rankings!
Why some brands are dominating in Google
Valuable SEO tools and how to best use them
- Practical and actionable tips to improve your SEO results right away
CONTENT MARKETING WORLD SESSION RECAP:
Here are the most common list of SEO mistakes when creating content:
1. Going for likes and not links. All the social votes are great — it’s the underpinning, the end game for your content. Likes, retweets, +1s, stumbles won’t give you anything longterm.
2. Misplacing your content. Remarkable content need a home that it will attract the most links. A link to your root domain is “the rising tide that lifts all boats.” Putting content onto medium, or buzzfeed or referencing . For example, an article by Victoria’s Secret has not one link to the victoriasecret.com
3. Targeting the wrong target. Are you creating it for social media or the “linkerati” not just shared, but linked to/from. LinkInsure.com created a list of 19 facts and got first page ranking for a competitive “life insurance” term not because it was shared, but it was linked to.
4. No help from a power user. Enlist a power user to seed your great content onto social media.
5. Using the wrong words. Your audience doesn’t use industry-speak, Use Google Trends, autocomplete, and GKT to find the most commonly-used phrases for your product or service.
6. Breaking the Site. Site redesign or incorrect redirect or mucked up internal linking. Mentos ran a great campaign mentosintern.com that garnered links and went viral. When they took it down, they took it down and didn’t correctly redirect it
7. No systematic outreach.
9. Activity Focus.
10. Buy into SEO myths. Self-perpetuating myths.
Like this? You'll Dig These:
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.